We get a lot of requests from people looking for new ways to shake-up their traditional recipes. If you find yourself stuck making the same thing, the same way, over and over again this winter, try this recipe for 15 BEAN SOUP® with Mini Meatballs! These beans and bite sized meatballs were cooked slow and low overnight in a Dutch oven, but a crock pot would work just as well. Be sure to brown the meatballs in a pan to ensure they hold together during the slow cooking process. Serve with some crusty bread and you’ve got a complete comfort-food meal the whole family will love!
More recipes & info available at http://www.hurstbeans.com
You will need:
- 1 bag Hurst’s HamBeens 15 BEAN SOUP®
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrot (cut into 1/4″ rounds)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 64 oz. chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes (try fire roasted if available!)
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Approximately 60 mini meatballs (See below for recipe. You could also buy a package of frozen meatballs, but they wouldn’t be as good of course!)
- 2 Cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mini Meatball Recipe (makes approximately 60)
- .75 lb. ground sirloin
- .75 lb. ground Italian sausage (not in casing)
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter (for browning)
Mix all ingredients EXCEPT meats in a large bowl. Add the meats, then using your hands, combine all of the ingredients together. Cover and allow to chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Roll meatballs to about the size of a quarter and place on parchment paper. In the bottom of a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter and begin to brown the meatballs in small batches and remove to a plate before adding more to the pot (you can also pan fry and then add to a crockpot). Do NOT rinse out Dutch oven after, you want those brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot!
15 BEAN SOUP with Mini Meatballs
- Preheat oven to 300º.
- Rinse and sort through the dry beans, check for any unwanted debris and discard. (This recipe does not require a soak of the beans, just add them right into the pot in step below!)
- Using the Dutch oven with some remaining butter/fat from cooking the meatballs, turn heat to medium-high and add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock & water. Using a spoon, scrape all of the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the meatballs, rinsed beans, and Italian seasoning (NOT tomatoes yet!). Bring the pot to a slow boil, then cover with the lid and place in oven.
- Cook for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally. (If cooking longer or overnight, reduce heat to 225º and you can leave in the oven for up to 8-10 hours.)
- Remove from oven and add diced tomatoes (with juices).
- Cook for additional 3o minutes, then keep hot until ready to serve.