This week officially kicks off the Fall season, making it a great time to break out those slow cookers and try a new recipe. This Green Chile Pulled Pork & Pintos is incredibly easy to make, and a perfect “comfort food” meal for the cooler evenings in the coming months. Serve over a large slice of cornbread and top with Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream (recipe below) to complete the dish.
You will need:
- 1 Bag Hurst’s Pinto HamBeens® (and included seasoning packet)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 lb. pork shoulder/butt
- 12 oz. beer (pick your favorite, the alcohol will cook completely off)
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup Salsa Verde (we used Herdez) + extra for topping if desired
- (1) 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- Salt and pepper to taste
2. After beans are in the pot, layer the onion and garlic, followed by the pork shoulder. In a mixing bowl, combine the contents of the seasoning packet, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper with the 12 oz. beer and pour it all into the slow cooker. Add the remaining 5 cups of water.
3. Cook on high for 8 hours, until pork is completely tender and falls apart easily. (Remember that removing a slow cooker lid during cooking will always extend the amount of time)
4. Using 2 forks or a wooden spoon, begin to break apart the pork. Add in the salsa and green chiles. Stir to combine everything and keep the slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
5. Serve over your favorite corn bread and top with more Salsa Verde and Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream (see recipe below).
Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream
- 1 small bunch/hand full fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Combine the 3 ingredients in a blender or small Cuisinart. Blend for 30 seconds, keep chilled until serving.