With all the recent cold weather, it’s a great time of year to pull out the slow cooker and try some new flavors with some of Hurst’s classic bean dishes. Last week, one of our food blog partners Heather Tallman (check out BasilMomma-a busy mom that likes to cook!) used HamBeens® Great Northerns to create a perfect holiday-inspired bean recipe. Read her complete post HERE, and see below for the easy to follow directions.
- 1 20 oz bag of Hurst Hambeens
- 4 C water
- 4 C chicken stock
- 1 lb of cooked meat, optional (ham, ham bone, jowl OR no meat at all!)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 1 tsp kosher salt (taste before serving to see if you need more)
- 1 tsp of black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 TB unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of seasoning packet
- Rinse and dry beans discarding any that are bad.
- Check for unwanted debris and discard.
- Add rinsed beans to a 6 qt slow cooker.
- Add water, stock, sugar, shallot, meat (optional), garlic, peppercorns, salt, bay leaf, ground cinnamon, cinnamon stick, butter and 1 tsp of seasoning.
- Place lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8-9 OR until beans are soft and liquid is absorbed.
- Do not lift the lid.
- This can add up to 30 minutes of cooking time each time you lift.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes and give the beans a light mash.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Serve as a base for pork cracklins, the meat you cooked in it or no meat at all!