Need a last minute recipe for your Labor Day weekend cookout? Try these easy and delicious Root Beer Baked Beans featuring Hurst’s Great Northern HamBeens®. The sweet and smoky flavors are a perfect fit next to your grilled meats and vegetables, and the leftovers can be frozen and enjoyed the rest of the Fall season.
What you need:
- Package Hurst’s Great Northern HamBeens
- 1/2 lbs. thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 bottles of your favorite root beer
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sort and rinse through your dried beans. Check for any unwanted debris and discard. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover by 2″-3″ of water. Allow to soak overnight or at least 4 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350˚. In a large dutch oven or cast iron pot with lid, begin to brown the bacon over medium-high heat on your stove. After about 8 minutes, stir in the onion and green pepper and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until onion becomes translucent.
2. Pour in the root beer and bring to a slow boil, using a spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
3. Discard bean soaking water and add the beans into pot. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, then cover the pot and put into the oven. Cook for 90 minutes (stir half way through), then remove from the oven and add Hurst’s seasoning packet and the rest of the ingredients.
4. Put baked beans back in the oven uncovered, this will help thicken the beans. If you need more liquid, add more root beer 1/2 cup at a time.
Cook for an additional 15 minutes.