Thanksgiving is only 2 days away! Last year we gave you a great Lentil & Wild Rice Pilaf that has been one of our most searched recipes all year. This time around we have another delicious recipe that will be a perfect side dish for all of your holiday gatherings.
This Sausage and Lentil Stuffing is a simple recipe to follow and produces a delicious blend of sweet and savory flavors. It can be made ahead of time and re-heated on the day of your feast, but is also quick enough to be a “day-of” dish as well. Smother it with a few ladles of turkey gravy and you will have a perfect leftover meal as well!
What you need:
- 1- Package Hurst’s Garlic and Herb Lentils
- 1 lb. ground sausage w/ sage (breakfast sausage)
- 1- cup diced onion
- 1- cup diced celery
- 2- cups diced apple
- 1- 12 oz. bag of your favorite stuffing mix
- 6.5- cups water (or chicken stock)
1. In a large stock pot, brown the sausage over medium-high heat for roughly 5 minutes. Add in the copped onion and pepper and continue to sauté until the onion becomes translucent. Add water and lentils (not seasoning packet yet) and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook the lentils for 25 minutes (covered).
2. Remove the lid and check lentils for tenderness. If done stir in Hurst’s garlic and herb seasoning packet. Remove from the heat and allow the lentils to cool uncovered for 15 minutes. Preheat your oven to 375˚ while waiting. After 15 minutes, add in the bag/box of stuffing mix and the diced apple, then fold together to combine. The mixture should be fairly moist.
3. Scoop the entire mixture into a 13″ x 9″ casserole dish and bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes. Garnish with some fresh sage leaves and enjoy!