During the hot summer months, there couldn’t be a better time to make this refreshing and delicious Mediterranean Lentil Salad. It works great as a side dish for your next cookout, or perfect as an easy and healthy snack any time of day.
This recipe uses Hurst’s® French Green Lentils. While any type of lentil would work for this dish, it’s best to use a “whole” variety rather than a “split” because they will hold their shape and not break down during cooking. One of the great things about this healthy dish is how quickly it can be made. In less than a 1/2 hour everything can be prepped, mixed, and left in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
What you need:
- 1 lb. French Green (or other whole variety) Lentils
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 Cup diced red onion
- 1 Cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 Cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Penzey’s “Mural of Flavor” seasoning (discussed HERE and you can buy online HERE)
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. clove
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, sauté the yellow onion with a tablespoon oil. When the onion becomes translucent, add the chopped garlic and cook until the mixture begins to brown.
2. Sort and rinse the lentils thoroughly. Remove any debris or dirt and discard. Add the lentils into the pot and cover with 7-8 cups of water. Turn the heat to high and bring the contents to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are completely tender.
3. While waiting for the lentils, add the olive oil, vinegar, and all dry seasonings to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together thoroughly, then add the red onion, green peppers, and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
4. When the lentils are finished cooking, drain completely and add them to the mixing bowl. Stir well to combine and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
(Try topping it with some crumbled feta cheese for even more great flavor!)