For those of you familiar with the N.K. Hurst Co., you may know that we are located in the shadow of Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Indianapolis Colts. For over 25 years we have been a host to tailgaters and some of the best pregame festivities in the area. Needless to say, we are all huge football fans (especially the Colts) and after last week’s win in the AFC Championship, we can’t wait for the “Big Game” on February 7th.
With that in mind, I thought it was a good time to break out one of my current favorite recipes, and one that will work great for that “Big Game” party.
A cross between America’s favorite “Big Game” snack and America’s favorite 15 Bean Soup®. It’s like biting into a bowl full of buffalo chicken wings with a subtle hint of blue cheese… AND BEANS! It’s the best of both worlds! Serve with fresh celery and carrot sticks for the full experience!
What you need:
- 1- Package Hurst’s® HamBeens® Chicken 15 Bean Soup
- 1- Cup Diced Onion
- 1- Cup Diced Carrot
- 1- Cup Diced Celery
- 2-3 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- 1 lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 12 oz. (1.5 Cups) Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1/2- Cup Blue Cheese Dressing
- 10- Cups Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Pour the dry beans into a colander or sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Sort through the beans checking for any small stones or unwanted debris.Place the rinsed beans in a large bowl and cover with 2+ inches of water. Allow to soak for at least 3 hours.
2. After soaking, drain any excess water and set aside the beans. In a large soup pot over medium-high, sauté the carrot, onion, and celery in a 2 tbs. olive oil. Cook for 5-10 minutes, add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add beans, chicken breast, and water. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for apprx. 1.5-2 hours. Check beans for tenderness.
4. When beans are fully cooked, reduce heat to low and remove chicken breasts. Shred with 2 forks, then add back to soup pot.
5. Add Hurst’s® chicken seasoning, buffalo sauce and blue cheese. Stir to combine.
6. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with carrots and celery sticks… ENJOY!