While still low in fat, but high in fiber and protein, Lentils differ from many other dry beans because they have a much shorter cooking time. Hurst’s® HamBeens® Confetti Lentils look great in the package, and taste even better when following this very simple recipe.
What you need:
- 1- Package Hurst HamBeens Confetti Lentils
- 1lb. Ground Beef
- 1- Cup Diced Onion
- 1- Cup Diced Carrot
- 1- Cup Diced Celery
- 2- Can Diced Tomato
- 2-3 Cloves Chopped Garlic
- 1-2 Tbs. Butter or Olive Oi (for sautéing)
- 8-10 Cups Water
1. Dice the carrot, onion, and celery into bite-size (1/4″) pieces. This mixture is known as a Mirepoix. Also mince the garlic cloves.
2. Heat Olive Oil (or butter) over Med-High until pan is hot. Add the chopped veggies until they begin to soften, probably around 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the ground beef and sauté until meat is browned. Then add the cans of diced tomatoes and stir to combine.
4. Stir in Hurst’s seasoning packet and continue to simmer.
5. Place the dry lentils in a colander or sieve and rinse with cold water thoroughly. Check for any stones or other unwanted debris that may be present.
6. Add the lentils and 8 cups of water to pot. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1- 1.5 hours.
7. The beans and vegetables should be completely tender, and some of the water should be reduced. If you prefer a more “brothy” soup, add water or beef stock until you reach desired consistency.
8. Serve with rice or some warm cornbread… ENJOY!