Hurst Beans is partnering with several food blogs this Fall and Winter to bring you some all new recipes featuring our best selling soups. This week, Leslie from The Hungry Housewife blog used Hurst’s HamPeas® green split pea soup as the base for this delicious recipe. It’s hard to make traditional split pea soup looks this tasty! See below for the recipe and be sure to click over to her site and follow The Hungry Housewife on Facebook for more awesome recipes all season!
Split Pea Soup with Ham and Bacon Recipe (Photos and recipe courtesy of The Hungry Housewife)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Red Onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz Bacon (about 5 slices), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 7 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Cooked Ham, chopped into very small bite sized pieces
- 1 package Hurst’s Ham Peas-Green Split Peas, rinsed, discard flavor packet and keep for later recipe
- In a large pot (5 or more quarts), heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, and bacon. Cook for 10 minutes. (Do not drain bacon fat)
- Add thyme and garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, ham and split peas.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste.