Guest blogger Erin Chase from $5 Dinners has submitted another delicious recipe this week using Hurst’s Garlic & Herb Lentils. This Lentil Stew is packed with flavor and super easy to make. Check back later this month for another Hurst recipe and Bean Pot Giveaway from $5 Dinners.
Lentil Stew with Pita Chips
- 1 bag Hurst Garlic and Herb Green Lentils
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 large carrot sticks, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Garnish – dollop sour cream, chopped cilantro
- Handful of pita chips for each serving
- In a large saucepan or 6 qt Dutch oven, cook the lentils as directed on the bag.
- Once they have cooked for half the time indicated on the package, add the chopped onion, crushed garlic and chopped carrots. Stir in the undrained diced tomatoes and the juice from the lemons. Bring to bubbling, reduce heat and finish cooking the lentils.
- Season with ground cumin and cinnamon.
- When the lentils have cooked, remove from the heat to prevent the lentils from getting mushy.
- Serve Lentil Stew warm with dollop of sour cream and cilantro in each bowl, with a side of pita chips.