Two of the questions we receive most often from fans of Hurst Beans:
- 1) Can I make 15 BEAN SOUP in a slow cooker or crock pot?
- 2) Are Hurst’s beans gluten free**?
The answer to both questions is YES. Making a batch of Hurst Bean’s in the slow cooker is one of the most fool-proof ways to get a perfectly cooked soup every time. You can start them in the morning, go to work, and by dinner time everything is ready to eat. Try this easy to follow, gluten-free recipe and you may never go back to the traditional “soak and boil” method again.
**All dry beans are a naturally gluten free product and every Hurst’s seasoning and spice blend is now 100% gluten free as well (Cajun used to be the exception). Our facility however is not specifically dedicated gluten free as we pack both barley and pasta as well. Please call us with any questions or concerns @ 1-800-HAMBEEN.
You will need:
- 1 package 15 BEAN SOUP® w/ ham flavor
- 1 lbs. gluten free ham steak, diced
- 1 can (14.5oz) gluten free diced tomato
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 7-8 cups water (depending how thick or “brothy” you like the soup)
- Rinse and sort through the beans. Check for any unwanted debris and discard.
- Pour the rinsed beans into the slow cooker, then layer the onion, garlic, and ham on top. Add 7 cups of water, put on the lid, and cook on high for 5-7 hours.
- When beans are tender, add the diced tomato, lemon juice, and Hurst’s ham flavor seasoning included in the package. Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes, then keep warm until ready to serve.
It’s that easy! No soaking, no boiling on the stove. Just leave it on all day and your house will smell incredible when you get back from work!