If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with the traditional dish of Corned Beef & Cabbage, here is a great recipe using any leftovers you may have in the next week. This version is made using a slow cooker, but a standard soup pot or Dutch oven would work just as well. (If you didn’t make corned beef at home, you can always buy some precooked from the grocery or deli!)
You will need:
- 1- package Hurst’s 15 BEAN SOUP®
- 1 lb. cooked corned beer, cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1- medium white onion
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 8 cups (64oz) beef stock or broth
- 1 cup dark Irish beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- Ground pepper to taste
- Rinse and sort through the dry beans. Check for any unwanted debris and discard.
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, layer rinsed beans, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, and pour beef stock & beer over everything. Cook on high for 5 hours (low for 8) until beans are tender.
- While beans are done cooking, in a large sauté pan brown corned beef pieces in 2 tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Add to slow cooker when finished.
- Using same pan, sauté the cabbage for 5 minutes until golden brown. Add to slow cooker.
- Stir to combine everything and cook for (at least) 1 more hour before serving. You can keep this on warm for several hours until ready to serve. Pepper to taste when serving.